The Importance of Giving Back During the Holidays
The holidays are a time to spread love and cheer, but that doesn’t stop the hustle and bustle from making us feel overwhelmed. In the midst of tackling our loved ones’ wish lists, we tend to forget about those struggling just to get by. There are numerous ways to give this year, in addition to reasons why you should. Here, we review the importance of giving back during the holidays.
Health Benefits of Donating
Increased Self-Worth and Self-Esteem
Sharing your time or money with people in less fortunate situations harbors personal growth. Self-worth is promoted by knowing you can help others obtain essential items during the holiday season.
Donating prompts the recognition of privilege to be able to spend time and money on others over the holidays. With this realization, many givers experience the sensation of increased gratitude.
Positive Effect on the Brain
The psychology of charity has positive effects on the brain that can lead to lasting improvement in mental health. The euphoria your brain experiences from giving is akin to that from eating, hugging, and exercising. If we commit to a bit more generosity each year, we can maximize our chances of maintaining this chemical change in the brain, leading to a happier outlook and overall improved wellbeing.
De-Stress and Live Long
The holidays bring high spirits, but they also bring on a slew of stressors. Another reason to emphasize the importance of giving back during the holidays is it’s an act of de-stressing. Giving is a way to support those in your community while overcoming stress symptoms. The link between donating and altruism causes people to believe that giving to others helps one live longer.
Ways to Donate
There are plenty of ways to give back during the holidays. Here a few ideas of how you can get involved with your community.
- Organize a toy drive with your company: Buying toys in bulk is a cost-effective way to get your coworkers involved while purchasing bulk kids toys expands your charitable reach.
- Donate spare change: Gather those jars around the house and donate to your local charitable organization.
- Sponsor a family: There are many programs offering sign-ups to help low-income families secure gifts for their children for the holidays.
If you are looking for budget-friendly ways to donate this year, spend some time this winter doing a few of the following activities:
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen: Spending time with a charitable organization encourages you to slow down during the holidays and is an opportunity to meet new people with similar interests.
- Donate gently used clothing or organize a coat drive: Coats are a high-demand item for homeless shelters during the winter.
- Assist at an animal shelter: Shelters experience an increase in residents as the weather drops, often leaving them understaffed.
Whatever the cause this holiday season, refer to Backpacks USA. We offer a wide range of wholesale items at an affordable cost to help you cover all your charitable intentions this year.